Blizzard of 2015 – Juno has dumped significant snow fall on the northeast and many have experienced, or will likely experience power outages across the state. Take precautions to keep safe and warm while avoiding deadly carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is odorless which makes it extremely dangerous, but there are precautions you can take to minimize your risk.

DSC_0834

Here are few safety tips to help you reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors annually.
  • Inspect your chimney, flue and heating system annually and have them cleaned by a professional.
  • Check to make sure no critters have taken up residence in your chimney and remove any debris like leaves, nests or branches.
  • Clear blocked exhaust flues – Especially any accumulated SNOW or ice.
  • Never operate gas powered engines inside an enclosed area (garage or basement).
  • Do not leave a vehicle running in the garage even with the door open.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, or other illnesses. Be aware of the signs as they can become more severe and potentially fatal very quickly. Some of symptoms include:

  •  Shortness of breath
  •  Mild nausea
  •  Mild headache
  •  Dizziness
  •  Unconsciousness

Caution: High levels of carbon monoxide gases can become combustible. If you suspect carbon monoxide seek assistance immediately and Call 911.

Copyright © by Judy Jennings – all rights reserved. – Carbon Monoxide is Know as The Silent Killer – Keep your family safe!